Monday 20 October 2008

A Painfull Loss


On the 10th of October 2008, my father was taken from us. No warnings, no illness, nothing. One minute he is taking stuff upstairs for my mum, the next a massive heart attack, and his no longer with us. Unfortunately i was in Cornwall at the time, and so had to rapidly get myself back up to Blackburn. Pla and Kirsty did all they could to help me, even offering to drive me home, but a flight was available and was booked.


The next few days were a surreal blur, but arrangements had to be made.

His funeral was in a strange way a happy occasion, the minister we had for the service had talked with me at length about my father and so was able to say a few kind and yet personal words on our behalf. Me my brother and sister all wanted to say a few words in tribute, but it was left to me to say what we all felt.

We even managed to get some of his favorite music played during the service, which even had a few feet tapping to the sounds of Jackie Wilson.


He was my hero, my teacher, my guide.
Taug
ht me to swim, ride a bike,
and encouraged me in whatever i was interested in.
He taught me how to be the person i am today.


I always looked up to him,
and despite having the same shoe size,
i could never fill them.

He will never leave me,
and his mark will stay with me forever.
I have his bald spot to prove it.


Always in my heart.
Love you and miss you.

One strange request he had was for a brass band to be playing at his funeral, we have no idea where that came from, but due to practicality this was not possible, but back at my mothers we raised our rum filled glasses to him and had a brass band version of Sweet Georgia Brown playing while we toasted him.

Friends and family have been very supportive and understanding, and i thank you all for this.

Since then we have all had our moments of sadness and joy when thinking about him, but he will always be with us. As a tribute we have purchased a tree at Pleasington Cemetary, so we have somewhere to go to when we feel that need.


Dad, you are not sleeping
Just resting your eyes
You will always be with me
In Thought, and my heart

Love you and miss you
David x

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

david what you said was lovely dad is so proud of you allxx